After former FBI Director Robert Mueller was named DOJ Special Counsel to oversee the investigation into questions of Russian collusion and "related matters," President of the United States Donald Trump made the following statement:
"As I have stated many times, a thorough investigation will confirm what we already know – there was no collusion between my campaign and any foreign entity. I look forward to this matter concluding quickly. In the meantime, I will never stop fighting for the people and the issues that matter most to the future of our country."
Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's all well and good; but President Trump needs to get serious; and more important than that, he needs to look and sound like he's really, really, really serious --- in an avuncular god-fatherly sort of way. No, make that "in 'The Godfather'-ly way," and there can't be any "sort of" about it.
So far much of the commentary about Robert Mueller sounds a lot like Sollazzo's talking to Tom Hagen in the back seat of the car about an hour after Don Vito Corleone was shot in front of the fruit stand.
THE PRESIDENT'S NEW TO-DO LIST
Given all that's happened so far, here is the long and short of what President Trump needs to do:
1. Make it very clear, very fast that --- "There's a lot of trouble with this [investigating the Russian's] business. It's very unfortunate for Democrats.... [and] a little misfortune... [will come] down on [some disloyal Republican] heads.... [And, well] that's life.... Everyone's got their own circle of sorrow...."
2. Be sure to get the right "Wartime Consigliere" in place as White House Chief of Staff;
3. Get enough of the best "button men" specialists available on retainer for immediate unspecified duty, and bring in a bunch of mattresses for them to sleep on in the White House basement;
4. Very important, Trump needs somebody to show him how to make a good basic spaghetti sauce;
5. Arrange for a Trump grandchild to be baptized in a Catholic Church by a Franciscan Priest with the President and the whole family around for the ceremony, meanwhile the specialists need to go around the country, as necessary, to clean up ALL the messes far and wide; and
6. After President Trump clears up all of his problems in Washington and wherever, he shouldn't retire to the country; and he absolutely should never, ever try to scare any young boy out among the tomato plants using orange rinds as make-believe monster teeth.